Followers

Monday 13 May 2013

The third trimester of life

  HAPPY MOTHERS DAY


Hello and welcome.
I was looking at my profile and thought I need to change it a little you see I'm not a 50 something any more because at the end of last year I became 60. Its such good place to be my children are raised , you can hand the grandchildren back and I've slipped nicely into life, a few  wrinkles and grey hairs plus a little surplus weight  are my badge of honour.

Yesterday was Mothers day and I began to wonder what my mothers life was like in the 50's, moms 90 next year she's a depression baby 1920's and a war bride 1940's what a hard time that was.
I was born in the 50's when, what is retro, mid-century now was modern day living then. I not sure if you've been watching, Call the Midwife but I can recall as a child when life was just like that a time when--



 dresses were big and floaty with rope petty coats or pencil thin, most were hand made. (what a job to iron them)  There were no tights and stockings got ladders when you were just about to go out, nail varnish was a saviour.         


   
                           
                             









Handbags and purses always matched your shoes and went everywhere with you
My mum still take hers up to bed with her. The queen well, you never see her with a shoulder bag she always carries one on her arm.
                    
 

The minx coat was a must even if it was faux fur. If it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe, then it was good enough for the mums of the day, made them feel a million dollars. You know diamonds are a girls best friend even today.




               

gloves, were a must to keep you hand warm and soft. 




Mothers always wore full aprons to save on the wash /ware plus they held all those bits and pieces while house keeping. Cakes were made using the latest Sunbeam mixer and didn't come from packets but from recipe's pasted down from there mothers and grandmothers.






Ironing boards were made of wood and even underwear was ironed.
(they can keep that one.) thank god for wash and ware



Moms bedroom was soft and pink with yummy pillows it smelt of roses and lily of the valley talcum powder




you explored mums jewellery and make up, one was never to young to learn the art of dressing up

                                                                                          


                                                                     
 when toys didn't run on batteries and lasted forever

                                           



when there were lots of children in a family, you played nicely sometimes.



Mommy's smelt nice and always gave kisses and cuddles



 of cause fairies lived at the bottom of the garden. I just loved fairy books, not much has changed there.



You shared a bike with your friends and went off for the day exploring the woods and streams playing house, cowboys and Indians and skipping.





                                                  



 Children still play the same games, its supper hero now, well we did have Batman first. Comics were a must read as were Enid Blyton who's 1953 pictures I've  taken from a book for this blog  don't you just love the illustrations.



And now here I am  now enjoying the sun  just  60 years young and proud of it  life is good no matter what era you were born they all have there ups and downs  problems always end
all I can say  is I'm glad to be living today.

Thanks for dropping by and please do call again :)































































3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Evangeline, so many more lovely things to look at (and think about) in it. That typewriter for one.
    I love Call the Midwife - so glad Chummy's back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kylie for your lovely comment. Looks like Chummy's having a baby this week, Will be interesting to see how she copes on the other side, I love this little toy Typewriter its from the 50's and still has the original box. will show you sometime, also other vintage toys. Would love to get hold of a tin dolls house,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evangeline, haven't seen a post from you for a while...I'm missing them. Hope everything's ok, all the best, Kylie x

    ReplyDelete